After a two-year hiatus, the Wines from Spain Awards competition made its return to provide the ‘ultimate’ Spanish wine list bursting with unique finds, rare gems, and new to market propositions for the UK trade and press.
Now in its eighth year, the Wines from Spain Awards competition assesses wines across all styles and categories. It is a celebration of quality and excellence in Spanish winemaking, rewarding the most exciting wines produced in Spain today.
The competition provides a quality stamp of approval for trade customers and consumers alike, guiding them through the Spanish wine category and its champions. All wines are assessed following a rigorous judging process and are tasted blind by a team of expert judges tasked with picking the top 100 wines of the competition before moving on to awarding ‘Champion’ trophies in various categories.
Winners of the Wines from Spain Awards 2022
Chair Tim Atkin MW and a panel of 14 expert wine judges selected 100 winners and awarded 16 ‘Champion’ trophies after a full day of judging in London.
With 9 awards and 2 trophies, Spanish sparkling wines impressed judges and proved a very strong category in the 2022 competition. Spanish whites also scored highly in the awards’ league table with no fewer than 28 awards and 5 trophies, including 2 for ‘Best Discovery’. 10 awards and 3 trophies were also given to sweet & fortified wines.
Spanish reds illustrated the best of Spain’s diversity. Classic red wine regions Rioja and Ribera del Duero showed the strength of their winemaking with a total of 37 awards. Other DOs provided judges with an array of exciting reds, with this year’s red trophies also coming from Mallorca and Valencia.
The 2022 list of 100 winning wines includes the following ‘Champion’ trophies:
- Best Cava | Bodegas Pinord Cava +&+ NV
- Best Premium Sparkling | Gramona Argent Brut Nature Rose 2017
- Best White Over £10 | Perelada Només Garnatxa Blanca 2021
- Best Premium White | Rioja Vega Tempranillo Blanco Reserva 2019
- Best White of Show | Familia Torres Forcada 2018
- Best White Discovery | Soto Manrique La Viña de Ayer Albillo Real 2018
- Best Premium Discovery | Estones PX 2019
- Best Rosado | Bodegas Gordonzello Gurdos 2021
- Best Red Under £10 | Bodega Casas de Moya Gloria 2020
- Best Red Discovery | Bodega Binigrau Bi-Negre 2017
- Best Red Over £10 | Bodegas Arzuaga Navarro Laderas del Norte 2020
- Best Premium Red & Best Red of Show | Conde Valdemar Balcón de Pilatos 2019
- Best Sweet Wine | Bodegas Monovar Fondillón 1996
- Best Dry Fortified | Fernando de Castilla Antique Oloroso NV
- Best Sweet Fortified | Fernando de Castilla Classic Pedro Ximénez NV
All 100 winning wines were presented at the Trade & Press tasting in London on 26 May 2022, at the iconic 67 Pall Mall.
A special Awards evening was also held at the Spanish Embassy to present the ‘Champions’ in all key categories with their much-coveted awards on 6th July.
For more information about the 2022 Wines from Spain Awards, please get in touch: spainfoodwineUK@comercio.mineco.es.
Discover the full Wines from Spain Awards 2022 Guide here: