1. Start by peeling and slicing your ginger as thin as possible.
2. Place in a pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil and then turn down to a simmer for 10 minutes. Drain the water and repeat the process.
3. Place the ginger, 400g of the sugar, 500 ml of the water, and the salt into a pot. Cook until the temperature reaches 106˚C.
4. Drain the syrup and cut the candied ginger into small cubes.
5. For the ice cream, combine the remaining 140g of sugar, 2.5L of water, inverted sugar, and glucose in a pot. Boil the ingredients for 3 minutes then remove from heat.
6. Use a hand blender to add the stabilizer. Strain mixture through a fine strainer. Cool.
7. Mix in the olive oil and the candied ginger cubes. Place in fridge for 12 hours.
8. Use ice cream machine to churn to desired consistency.
Preparation: Rebekka Schmitt