Colman Andrews. Food & Wine Writer
Colman Andrews (California, 1945) is one of the most important food journalists in the United States. His career goes back over at least three decades, during which time he has held a range of important posts in the written media, the majority of which have focused on food, wine and travel. One of the areas Andrews has spent most time analyzing and studying is the cuisine and wine of Spain, particularly the cuisine of Catalonia.
As the fruit of his many visits to Barcelona and the rest of Catalonia in the 1980s, in 1988 Colman Andrews published one of his best known works, Catalan Cuisine, in which he pays tribute to the traditional, Mediterranean cuisine of this region of Spain. Colman Andrews became interested in disciplines like history and philosophy from a very early age, and graduated in these subjects in 1969 from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
He soon came into contact with newspapers and magazines, giving him the chance to write about one of his main interests, food, in his restaurant reviews. He worked in this way for several years on different Californian publications, until his big break came in 1975: to take charge temporarily of the food review column of the Los Angeles Times. Subsequently he worked as a freelance writer for magazines like Food&Wine, Bon Appetit and Travel&Leisure and wrote various books about traditional cuisine in different parts of Europe on gastronomy in general. The name of Colman Andrews became increasingly well known and in 1994 he started the Saveur magazine, one of the most respected in the food media world. During his Saveur period he won half a journalism dozen prizes from the James Beard Foundation . He ran this magazine until 2006, when he decided to return to freelance work and to his food book projects.
- Reinventing Food. Ferran Adrià: The man who changed the way we eat. (Phaidon, 2010)
- Saveur Cooks Authentic Italian (co-author and co-editor) (Chronicle Books, 2001)
- Saveur Cooks Authentic French (co-author and co-editor) (Chronicle Books, 1999)
- Catalan Cuisine: Europe's Last Great Culinary Secret (Harvard Common Press, 1999)
- Saveur Cooks Authentic American (co-author and co-editor) (Chronicle Books, 1998)
- Flavors of the Riviera: Discovering Real Mediterranean (Cooking, Bantam Books, 1996)
- Everything on the Table: Plain Talk About Food and Wine (Bantam Books, 1992)
- Catalan Cuisine: Europe’s Last Great Culinary Secret (Atheneum, 1988)